Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Day 3 All Pain. 00.4 Gain?

Hey Team and readers!

Height: 183 cm
Weight: 98.4 kg (+00.4)
Fat percentage (according to electronic scale): 28.4% (+2.6%)


Exercise Summary with number done in each set: 1/2/3

Squats 15/15/15 Complete! Knees ached through the whole exercise, but the pain dropped a bit halfway through the second set once my blood got flowing and my muscles realized I wasn’t going to quit.

Push-ups, 10/10/10 Complete! I did two more than the max required in these sets to celebrate the fact my modified sit ups on Day 2 were actually the correct way to do the exercise. Thanks, Patrick. I goofed and didn’t see Patrick’s knees were on the floor in the picture. However, to be fair, there is no ground in the picture to see, so Patrick looks like Superman flying through the air (compliment intended).

Sit ups: 15/15/15 Complete! Pain here too, but because of the pain, I felt my ab muscles. I’ve had pudding for a gut for so long, I wasn’t sure I had any muscles left to feel. ;-)

Weight up just a touch, but don’t worry. I haven’t cheated the half diet. I know from word of mouth the weight dips up and down a bit until the body figures out exactly what you’re doing to it. Not worried.

Today will be my first day back at work since I started the PCP. I’m just coming off a four-day-weekend. Here’s where the real test of will against snacking begins. I’m looking forward to my half lunch. a six inch veggie avacado subway sandwhich. (Update: Oops, wait, it's Wednesday. I'm eating lunch at home. Guess the veggie avacado fix will have to wait.)

No cool video today because I couldn’t think of one that fit the post.

Love to the team!

More tomorrow,

Sean

Day 3 Update: Working Through The Pain

My legs hurt. The lunges on day 2, as much as I enjoyed them, have really given my underused thigh muscles (rectus femoris?) something painful to think about. I move like a stiff old man now. The worst is sitting down. I pretty much have to drop into any seat I take. I actually used the train rings to lower myself into the train courtesy seat today. I'm writing this more for posterity than to actually complain about it. I can handle it. I'm just worried I'm not going to beable to the next round of lunges to come. Fortunately, I have a little help. Tomorrow, I will visit Patrick's Yoga studio, and, hopefully, he can give me a few pointers to work through the pain.

4 comments:

  1. Veggie avocado sounds delicious, I wonder why we don't have that variety in Canadian Subway restaurants?

    I think I remember you measuring your body fat by electronic (electrical?) impedance, so you would definitely see variation in your results (it can be affected by degree of hydration).

    Kick butt at work tomorrow Sean!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sean, you may want to consider more thorough stretching before and after the workouts to reduce muscle tension... I did a quick google search and found this site, which provides some examples:
    http://www.weightlosswand.com/workouts/stretch-thighs.html

    If it's a muscle group you're not used to working normally, than that would also explain the soreness that you're experiencing. I get this every so often after a hard day the the gym, but it usually passes after 2-3 days. A good fish-oil supplement may help reduce inflammation as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're just going to be sore at first Sean. It'll pass. There's no way around it when muscles haven't been used in a while. You get used to it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sean, the soreness will pass and when you're running up the stairs three at a time with a log on each shoulder(or something equally heavy and cumbersome) you'll feel pretty good about the pain. Go for it my man!

    ReplyDelete