Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Day 87: J-rope Juice: "Odoru Ponpokorin" with a little "Footsteps"

Hey all,

As we count down to the last day, I'm looking for whatever I can get music-wise to give me a little more juice when I'm working out. A good song can take your mind off your pain and body and let you get through an exercise smoothly. Well, today, thanks to these two songs, I was able to J-rope and do the rest of exercises extremely well today.

First up, Odoru Ponpokorin:



Odoru Ponpokorin is from an animated series called Chibi-Maruko-Chan. And, don't let this wacky intro fool you, this show was and still is very popular in Japan. Based on the 5th top selling Shojo Manga of all time, this series depicts the simple, everyday life of a little girl nicknamed Maruko and her family in suburban mid-seventies Japan. The series is set in the former city of Shimizu, now part of Shizuoka City, birthplace of its author, Momoko Sakura.

Chibi Maruko-chan originally aired on Fuji Television. 142 episodes were broadcast, from January 1990 to September 1992. The series attained a TV viewer rating of 39.9%, the highest rating ever attained by an animated TV series in Japan at the time.

The theme song Odoru Ponpokorin became a hit and was interpreted by several artists including the Kinki Kids and Captain Jack.

I encountered this animated series early on in my arrival in Japan, and enjoy watching it (or just listening to the opening credits) whenever I happen to see it on TV. I've always found the song quite cheerful and uplifting and am happy to finally add it to my PCP soundtrack.

Next up, "Footsteps"



"Footsteps" is a song from City Hunter Season II. It is played whenever Ryo leaps into action. I watched an episode of City Hunter yesterday with my lunch, and I decided right then and there this song needed to be on my PCP soundtrack. Nothing like a liitle musical encouragement from my PCP hero as I fight to the finish.

Tomorrow, my last visit to Patrick's studio while on the PCP--Can you believe it?

Sean

No comments:

Post a Comment